Home Fixtures Junior Fixtures Competition Winners Contact Us Junior Contacts Site Map

The Origins of EWGA

The Origins of ELGA / EWGA

The English Ladies' Golf Association was formed in 1952. Before that golf in England came under the jurisdiction of the Ladies' Golf Union which generally deals with British women’s championships and selection of teams to compete in International events.

On the 31 December 2007 the English Ladies’ Golf Association, an unincorporated body, was dissolved and the property, contracts, assets (including intellectual property rights and goodwill) and liabilities of the Association were transferred to a Company Limited by Guarantee, known as the English Women’s Golf Association.

The headquarters of the English Women’s Golf Association were based in leased premises at 11 Highfield Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham and were based in the Birmingham area since 1988. There were over 1,790 ladies' sections of golf clubs affiliated to the Association in England, resulting in a membership of over 121,000.

On 16th November 2011 the merger of the English Golf Union (EGU) and the English Women’s Golf Association (EWGA) was approved at simultaneous general meetings of both organisations. The merger came into effect on 1st January 2012 and created England Golf, one national governing body to represent all amateur golfers in England.

To see how the Club links with EWGA and the LGU:- click here